Tax and HCM Compliance Specialist
TITLE: Tax and HCM Compliance Specialist
Job Description – Tax and HCM Compliance Specialist
The Payroll Tax and HCM Compliance Specialist's role is to ensure Apex’s software is in compliance with all federal, state, and local laws including but not limited to: Payroll, HR and ACA. This includes keeping abreast of all upcoming changes to tax law, form changes, electronic file changes, and incoming requests from clients needing clarification on how Apex’s software functions vs their understanding of a particular law.
Strategy & Planning
· Evaluate documented tax law publications and outline the necessary software changes required when compared to how the software currently functions.
· Roll your sleeves up “Doer” mentality of owning the role and responsibilities around Tax and HCM compliance
· Owns the process of updating and testing all forms/reports for all taxing agencies/authorities at the federal, state, and local level
· Constantly be informed of upcoming federal, state, and local compliance changes
· Research compliance changes via federal, state, local agencies and by being in contact via phone/email with various agencies when necessary
· Analyze changes required based on current configuration of Apex’s software
· Document required changes for the development team
· Work with the development team to test changes once implemented to ensure Apex’s software is in compliance prior to the change effective date
· Analyze tax publications and run test including hand calculations to ensure tax tables are in compliance
· Identify and evaluate new revenue opportunities within the compliance arena
· The application of systems analysis techniques and procedures, including consulting with customers, to determine hardware, software or system functional specifications
· Directly resolve incoming client inquiries regarding tax and payroll compliance
· Communicate to client the ultimate disposition of their inquiry related to compliance
· Exercise independent judgment and discretion to determine resolutions to resolve customer issues that materially affect the business operations of Apex’s customers
· Duties include determining functional specifications for and designing, documenting, analyzing, creating and testing Apex’s software systems and programs
· Perform work directly related to the general business operations of Apex’s customers
· Build rapport and elicit details from clients in compliance related matters
· Prioritize and schedule workload to ensure Apex’s software is compliant prior to any change effective dates
· Apply diagnostic utilities and analyze software functionalities to aid in troubleshooting.
· Perform related duties consistent with the scope and intent of the position.
· Additional hours may be required to ensure customer service levels are met.
· Some travel may be required for the purpose of off-site training.
Minimum Qualifications (Education, Experience, Skills)
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 5 years of experience working in a payroll & tax compliance role
- Ability to make independent decisions on matters of significance.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team player.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with deadlines and goals.
- Attention to details and time management skills.
- Excellent communication skills i.e. written/verbal Ability to read, analyze, and interpret policies, documents and regulations.
- Ability to write reports and business correspondence.
- Ability to effectively establish rapport, present information and respond to questions from managers, clients, customers and the public.
- Skill and ability to meet people, listen, and communicate effectively.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, pro-rata, percentages, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic accounting.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral or schedule form.
- Knowledge of computer skills.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Travel is minimal with most contact with customers by phone and email correspondence.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.